Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shanghai Noon

Roy O'Bannon: I don't know karate, but I know kar-azy and I will use it.

Shanghai Noon is one of those movies that most everyone saw when it first came out and then promptly forgot, but I think it deserves to be remembered. It's a charming comedy that holds up well and seamlessly blends the western and kung-fu film while simultaneously spoofing both. For all it's simplicity, it's a really well-written comedy that shows off the best of Owen Wilson and Jackie Chan. Having rewatched it recently, it struck me how few films are made that have a lighthearted sense of humor that can be enjoyed by all ages while not losing it wit and charm in trying to be inoffensive enough for families. A solid adventure, with a lot of clever references to older westerns that turns the stereotypes on their heads. A great movie for a rainy day.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot all about this movie and it is one I really loved when I first saw it. Another to rewatch soon. Thanks for reminding me of it!

    ReplyDelete